Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Tick Tock Bike Clock part two



A couple weeks ago we posted a Friday Connection on how to make clocks from bicycle chainrings. I thought I'd try my hand at crafting this little ticker myself, well two tickers that is.

On our weekly bike ride Michael and I stopped in at the Boise Bicycle Project (BBP) to scavenge for parts. I managed to walk out of the shop with two chainrings for ten bucks. One of the chainrings is from a 1930s model bike (Schwinn?).


With the use of some WD40, steel wool, and some serious elbow grease I was able to get the oldest chainring in tick tock shape. I purchased some fabric and a second clock mechanism at JoAnne Fabric and went to town. A couple changes I made to the original tutorial were using matte Mod Podge as an adhesive (it doesn't show through the fabric), gluing the clock mechanism to keep it from shifting, and hot gluing a bottle cap on the back for an extra hook. I also spray painted one set of the clock hands so they would be easily visible. (I think you could have a lot of fun making the clock arms vibrant, but that might be left for another time.)


This project only took a couple days to complete. One day for gluing/drying and one day to put it all together. All in all, it was pretty fun to make. Next time we'll have to see what other parts we can use to make a cool clock.






2 comments: