Monday, February 22, 2010

Dog Attack

When riding a bike there is one possible scenario that really scares me—colliding with a car, at least that is what I thought until yesterday.

On the greenbelt I have often seen different wildlife. Most recently I saw eight deer and one raccoon along the pathway in the same evening. But there is another animal that must be watched out for—the dog. Yes, the dog. They seem pretty harmless with their waggy tails and smiling doggy faces, tongues hanging out. I mean, what's to fear? The story changes when they are running at you on a bike. In my travels yesterday I encountered two different dog scenarios that I feel are both worth sharing.



The first run-in happened when I was riding a roadway adjacent to a park when a elderly woman was crossing the street with her golden retriever. She had almost gotten to the other side when the dog saw me. And then it was on. The dog started lunging at me barking (still with tennis ball in mouth) and pulling her along; he was clearly walking her, not the other way around. Initially, I thought this might be a harmless encounter, but the apparent horror on her face (and disdain directed at me) indicated that I needed to get out of this situation. I was able to get around them and head to my destination, but it forced me to rethink possible dangers of the road.

The second encounter happened on my way home on the *Greenbelt. I was clipping along and several feet away a family was checking out a new riparian area with their dog—unleashed. When the dog saw me he headed full force for me, much to his hollering owner's chagrin. My fear in this situation wasn't of the dog, but what could happen if the dog got under my tires. Eventually, the bellowing owner won out and the dog turned back. More than likely, the hound was just looking for a running buddy, but it got me looking for advice on how to be prepared when the dog strikes.



TIPS ON DEALING WITH DOGS WHILE ON TWO WHEELS
  • A squirt with your water bottle can discourage a charging dog. 
  • Throw the dog a bone, or rather, a dog biscuit. (Thanks Dave Redford for this ingenious solution. My favorite by far!)
  • Shout! Loudly! This will surprise the dog and could just send him packing with his tail between his legs. 
  • Zap him with the Dazzer (a device that delivers a high-pitched sound).
  • The faster you pedal, the less likely he is to get his chompers in you.
  • Pepper spray. It will sting his nose  and eyes and surely stop him in his tracks. (This might be your last resort with Fido.)
And when it comes to wild animals . . .


"Try never to approach wild animals any closer than necessary. Most will move away of their own accord if you don’t startle them. (If you’re traveling in natural areas inhabited by bears or other potentially lethal animals, always follow the advice of locals."
(http://www.coolbiking.com/blog/cycling/cycling-tips/cyclists-and-dogs/)


Hopefully these tips are as useful to you as they were to me. (I think I will be stocking up on dog treats.) I will definitely be paying more attention to our canine friends when I am out riding.

Good luck out there. If you have any wildlife stories you would like to share, leave us a comment or write to us at stpexperiment@gmail.com and we'll share them with our readers. 

Safe riding!


References: 

http://www.bikeleague.org/resources/better/miscellaneous.php

http://www.coolbiking.com/blog/cycling/cycling-tips/cyclists-and-dogs/
http://bicycling.suite101.com/article.cfm/cycling_and_animals
Urban Bikers' Tricks & Tips by Dave Glowacz


*The Greenbelt recreational pathway that runs through Boise. Often you'll cyclists, runners, families, and the like spending time on it in warmer months.

2 comments:

  1. Oh no, now there will be all kinds of dogs after you once word gets out that you just have to run after Paige to get a treat ;p (seriously good info though).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, there might be, but it would be a friendly encounter then. :)

    Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete