Monday, March 8, 2010

80 Miles Down


Thundering up the path, fighting a headwind, can teach you something about perseverance. The steps to just get on that same path can, too. Here are some highlights from this weekend's rides that you might find useful in your own journeys.


The Presta Valve is a tricky jester. For weeks I have been "filling" my tire up with air and continually it seemed be going flatter and flatter. I decided to get to the bottom of the issue Saturday and fully inspect the presta valve on my slumpy front tire. The secret to the unfillable tire lies in the twist. Presta valves are different from regular (shrader) valves. You first unscrew the cap to the valve, but then you have to unscrew the bottom part of the presta valve (righty tighty, lefty loosey). This then allows you to fill it with air. If you push up on the valve after you've loosened it you can hear the air escape. Who knew!? I don't remember this being in the manual.

I now have been given "the wave." It must be official—the spandex makes this cycling imposter look like the real deal. In the motorcycling world you often find bros with hogs giving each other "the wave" when passing on the highway. It's a signal to say, "Hello, Friend." Well, in the cycling world it appears to be the same. A serious looking cyclist decked out in Lycra and shades gave me the hand signal (the good one) yesterday. It really kind of made my day; I'm a sucker for a friendly hello from anyone on the Greenbelt, especially from a fellow on two wheels. Thanks, Spandex Man.

Do these bike shorts make my butt look big? Eh, who cares?! Please note if you spend any amount of quality time with your bike you will eventually succumb to padded shorts, chamois butter, and goofy shoes. Also notice that at some point you stop caring about how you look in those same shorts in public. I know, you probably think that is impossible, but what starts with a spinning class will quickly move straight to Lucky 13.

Seriously.

The Greenbelt is no place for a cyclist (on the first awesomely sunny day). Kids, dogs, bikes, groups . . . they all want to enjoy the great outdoors on beautiful days, too. If you think you will be able to fly by them, reconsider. Sometimes they are all an accident waiting to happen. I have found the road less traveled by pedestrians can often cause the least anxiety and frustration for the cyclist in a hurry.

Rockin' out makes the miles fly by. In super geek style, I bought a $13 iPhone mount for the Green Steed. Yes I did. I'll get out my pocket protector and glasses now. No matter how you look at it, this bad boy rocks! I can listen to music (at a low volume) and answer a phone call mid pedal stroke.

Friends will push you to do things you otherwise might not. (That can be a good thing). I will be participating in Kristin Armstrong's Cycling Academy next week. I had decided to pass on clinic, but thanks to the encouragement (gentle prodding?) of my friend Monique I will be participating.  Can we say excited?! I sent over an email to find out if there were any openings available and there was one left!  I'll keep you posted on what I learn.

One hundred miles is the mileage goal for this week. I am excited to map out some new routes and push some new limits. I hope the start to your week begins with a bang.

Happy peddling!

Paige

No comments:

Post a Comment