Thursday, April 29, 2010

Bye Bye Mountain Bike, CBR & Physical Therapy



Man, lately life has been a whirlwind. The warming weather, the longer days, the increased mileage (a la bicyclette) are all indicators that  STP is looming right around the corner. There is a lot to share, but this go 'round I'll keep it to a minimum.

Bye Bye Bicycle.

Last Friday marked the departure of an old friend—my Trek 4300 mountain bike. My bro, Reed, completed his family of bicycles with the gold, black, and red stunner. He was the last member of his little fam without a ride. I foresee many happy days of biking ahead of him! (Who knows, maybe next year he will be riding in STP?)

Community Bicycle Rides (CBR) Rocks.
I put on my 'fearless' hat, with bike in tow, and headed to Ken's Bicycle Warehouse, Saturday's designated meeting spot for the CBR ride.  It was 10 a.m. and upon arrival I spied a sea of jerseys, helmets, and bikes everywhere. Talk about intimidating!


After announcements the group took off like a swarm of mad bees descending upon Overland/Five Mile. (If you saw over 60 cyclists on Overland Road last weekend it was us.) I stayed toward the back to observe and had the chance to chat with Jeff Larson for a stretch. From the sounds of it this group has gotten pretty big, but it will probably thin out a bit this summer. It's nice to see so many interested riders participating.

I had the chance to meet a handful of other enthusiasts, too. This is what really made this event successful for me . . . nice people. We encountered a couple folks with flat tires and each time these guys stopped to help. The CBR really is what you make of it. You can go as long, or fast as you like. You can be a die-hard rider or just out to enjoy the morning. If you're thinking about joining for a weekend ride . . . just do it! You'll thank yourself later.

Reasons to Participate in a CBR Ride
  • You can select from a handful of different distances to ride.
  • If you have trouble someone will help you.
  • It is a great way to learn to ride in a group.
  • You learn knew cycling routes.  
  • Get informed! This is a great place to learn about what is going on (cycling wise) in our community. 
  • Newbies can learn the rules of the road.
  • You can put some lead into it. (The average speed for the group I was in was 18 mph, but you know the diehards are going faster than that!)
  • These people are out to have a good time.
  • It beats riding alone.
  • And, if anything, you can see what the latest cycling fashions are.
So, what are you waiting for?

Physical Therapy Schmerapy.
I was lucky to be virtually pain-free through the weekend. However, my plan is to be pain-free a majority of the time. This requires a little help from new friends. I met with Jay & Sam, a couple of physical therapists recommended by my doc, this week. They shared a variety of stretches to incorporate into my daily routine. Apparently, my hips/pelvis area is really tight, causing strain on my IT Band.

After visiting with them for an hour I felt the burn, but I am so excited to be able keep riding. (Now if the Idaho weather would cooperate!) The good news? Simple stretching exercises will help the pain and bring fun back into the equation. I'm glad this has happened early instead of in the middle of STP!

Even better news? Jay is going to 'bike fit' me on Tuesday. I now know this is essential. Who rides 204 miles without a bike fit? Not I. I will share more about this next week. Stay tuned . . .

Don't forget May marks National Bike Month. Get your cruisers, mountain bikes, recumbents, or other two-wheelers ready for the great season ahead.

I hope to see you out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment