Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Helmetless in Boise . . .

. . . with melon intact.

Yep, that's right. I don't have a helmet. Somehow it mysteriously has disappeared from my car. This was an unwelcome surprise this evening as I ventured out with the Linz for my first ride with my clipless pedals. I was certain there would be some road rash/melon busting in my future.

I am happy to report that I had a very smooth transition to the clipless pedals. I did arm myself with some internet research prior to hopping in the saddle. The best video I found was on YouTube under the SchwinnBicycles channel. You can view the video here.



Cycling shoes with the compatible SPD cleat.



The best tip I can give you is to plan ahead. When you're clipped in your footsies aren't going anywhere. When coming to a stop you need to release one foot that touches the ground to support your weight. To release you just gently twist your foot outward and POOF it releases. Pretty easy.

I was lucky . . . this time. And I am very excited to begin training in a more efficient way. It really seems to make quite a difference. Now I just need to get a new helmet!

No comments:

Post a Comment